My parents came up on Sunday and we all did the Freedom Trail on Monday. Luckily the rains had stopped early that morning. I'm telling you, every time my parents visit me it rains. So we headed out Monday morning and we got the audio tour with headphones and all. My mom and Adam were pumped about it, my dad and I had some reservations. It was actually much more interesting than I had thought it would be. It was just fun to be walking through Boston with Adam and my parents. I have been able to go down to CT to see my family this summer when Adam was working, but I haven't had Adam and my family together in a while. It was nice.
This first grave is that of Mary Goose, who we now all know as Mother Goose. I thought that was cool. The second one is Samuel Adams who actually was such a bad beer brewer in his family's business that he became a tax collector! Of course, that was before all of the things he's now noted for above.
Here's us taking a little break listening to our tour. Look at how big the buildings are around the original ones. Boston is such an amazing, old city. And here's Paul Revere in front of the Old North Church.
Here's the Bunker Hill Monument. We all climbed it to the top. Now, those of you who know how much I love small spaces, this was no small feat. It is a spiral staircase with cement walls on either side, only big enough for two people to pass through, and even then you have to turn in for them. So, I ran up all 290 stairs, touched the top, and turned around and ran down all 290 stairs. Adam took some pictures of the city from up there. You really could see all across Boston.
So that's my brief history lesson and slide show. For all you homeschooling momma's out there, this is an amazing history lesson. I failed to do it the justice it deserves in this post, but I didn't really think you all wanted a full lesson on our country's history. If you do, call Adam. As my dad and I sat in the back of an old conference room and my mom and Adam wandered around it looking at everything, I laughed realizing that my kids will now relive my childhood with having a history buff parent. I love you both and love that you pass on your excitement of the past to those in the future.
9 comments:
thanks for the history lesson, that is just about how i like them. short and to the point! there was a time when i liked history and still find it cool, but you this lesson was perfect. who knew, mother goose, huh! Bill was in Boston this past weekend too and said it rained all weekend. Glad that there was a little break in the clouds and glad you are still loving boston. Did adam get the snowboard? did you get your scarf? oh and worth loved the surf pictures BTW.
I used to have a blog but stopped for a while. I am starting another one now. :) http://mammasheri.blogspot.com/
I know I am such a dork but I totally want to do that tour. It sounds cool. I don't even think of myself as a history person, I think I would just enjoy walking around Boston and learning interesting facts I can impress people with later. Like the Mother Goose thing. I will definitely be pulling that out at the next social function I attend.
That sounds like my of the vacations of my childhood, My dad LOVES history if we went to the beach we would always have to go to some battleground just to keep things balanced and educational. so way to go!
That would definitely be a great home school outing! I would love to do that with my boys sometime. I plan on learning everything I missed in school (A LOT) with them as they get older.
I think that men love history a lot because so much of it is about battles and action and all.
your children? when?
Soon enough Jessie, soon enough...Just kidding! I'm not preggers, but can't wait to be when the time comes. Hope yours is going well and can't wait to see pictures of the new addition when he shows himself!!!
Finally got my password so I can write back. Great to have seen Sunday's, Nikki's, Julie's and Abbe's comments!
What a wonderful time with "the Trail" was with you both. And how special to be able to just sit and chat with my Annie while Mom and Adam went over every detail of every display of every map of every skirmish...And, there was even a sighting (very briefly) of a strange glowing orb in the sky, which one of the guides identified as the sun!
Dad H.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the freedom trail! I love it when you get to the Italian district....
My dad is a MAJOR history nut and our family would go to Boston every other year and do our historical journey's
And Salem is great too. You need to hit up Concord I think...Louisa May Alcott's home is great.
Post a Comment