Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snow, snow, and more snow

So I haven't blogged in a while, but there hasn't been too much going on around here except for snow. I shouldn't complain about snow, especially when I hear my North Carolina friends (Sunday, in particular) so excited about the prospects in the forecast, but it is strange that I have not seen the ground in a very long time. As I sit typing, I can hear my neighbor shoveling his walk. Being a public transportation commuter I get a little more frustrated with the snow than the average joe, trudging through unpaved sidewalks and streets or stepping shin deep into dirty slush in the wee morning hours, but don't let my views skew the amazing thing it can be. Now there are good things about the snow. Duke can't even handle how much he loves snow. He literally jumps straight up in the snow. It's hilarious! He throws himself around in it.


(these were from our first snow)

Adam has been hiking various mountains in the New Hampshire area with our friends Steve and Dan, then they snowboard down it. A mountain all to themselves. It's a pretty cool thing. Here are some pictures from one of his adventures.





And you can't forget the waves in the winter. Some of the best surf has come around this season.



It has been a good winter. The snow covers the dead brown look of winter and makes everything look pretty. Early morning drives to work, which Adam has so selflessly offered as the temps plummeted the last few weeks have been quiet and serene. The Charles River maintains a layer of snow and ice over it giving it a shear, untouched look. We have already received this year more snow than Boston's average for the whole winter season. In fact, we past that mark a few weeks ago. It was great yesterday having a day off after a 4 day stretch working at the hospital and curling up under a blanket as the snow came down sideways outside of my window. It has been a true New England winter. It really has been one for the books. Even including an ice storm which sent Adam hurling down our front steps, cracking his head open, and getting a concussion and staples! That's a story for another time...

5 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

not much going on....oh come on. the snow is beautiful. i am really jealous of it, but maybe not that jealous! thanks for the awesome snow pictures. they are beautiful.

Niki said...

I am jealous, too. But I can imagine getting sick of it after awhile. In fact, I'm already getting ready for Spring around here! That might be different if all our brown was covered with white.

Really beautiful pictures, Annie. Hope Adam is recovering. That sounds horrible!

Becky Swann said...

I feel like I should say i'm jealous because everyone else did, but I'm really not I usually like snow, but I think I'm already ready for spring:) that is crazy that adam busted it on your stairs, hope he is ok,be honest, before you knew he was hurt did you laugh? be honest,

Adam and Annie said...

I have to say, I honestly didn't. It was too shocking and scary to laugh. I didn't see him fall, he just came in all dazed and bloody. He kept saying my name. Oh, poor Adam! But nice Becky, way to try and get me in trouble! =)

MC and Brian Phillips said...

Hey, Annie!!! I don't think I've ever commented on your blog, but I enjoyed reading it,and like everyone else, I'll be happier when I'm done being jealous of the snow!! All we get down here are false alarms! Grrr...
I hope y'all are doing well!(and i hope adam is okay.)