Adam and I went mountain biking the other day at this place called The Fells. It's a preserved area of 2500 acres just a few miles from our apartment. It has all sorts of trails that are great for running, hiking, and mountain biking. It has a few lakes and reservoirs in it too. We loaded up our bikes and headed out. I found it much more challenging then I used to find mountain biking. Maybe it's because I haven't done it in so long, maybe these trails were a little more technical than I was used to. There's a section called the mountain bike loop, but it has a lot of deep, loose gravel sections, so we kind of veered off onto some of the single track hiking trails. Um, yeah, this is where I forgot how hard it was to be riding and then have to quickly switch gears to go up a steep burst of a hill with obstacles of roots and rocks. I was sweating within 10 minutes of riding (hey, it was also a hot day!) It was just really nice to be in the woods, among the pines. I had a few pedals in the shins...and no, I won't switch to clip less pedals, I fall way too much! Adam of course is jumping downed trees and bombing down hills, where as you can hear my brakes squealing as I'm slooowly trying to maneuver over some crazy downhill root systems! =) It was a really fun day. At the end, Adam took me up this little gravel road to a great overlook of the city. It was crazy. I had completely forgotten that we were so close to buildings and traffic. It had been so quiet in the woods. Amazing.

We were able to have this whole weekend off together thanks to Hannah, or whatever hurricane it was running up the coast. They had called for bad storms to hit us, so Adam's weekend trips were canceled and then it ended up being a beautiful beach day! Not only that, the rare occurrence happened that it was a beautiful beach day with BIG waves! Happiness all around. We drove up to NH on Sunday with my cousin Debbie to meet her husband Andy up there (who had been in the water since 6am!). Our friends Steve, Julie, and Eddie met us up there too. The boys surfed for hours. The girls hung out and played with the dogs, we all brought our dogs, and read magazines. We were supposed to be taking video and pictures of the boys, but we got distracted! The picture above was on a local surf site of that day, but that's none of the boys. Just wanted to show you how big the waves got. I have a video of Adam I'm going to try and download later. It was just a great hang out day. Much needed after our crazy week. Our schedules both just got so busy, I know they will slow down soon, but people ask us how our week was and we kind of look at each other with blank stares thinking, what week? Duke loves the beach! We can't keep him out of the water. He plays fetch with the chuck it for hours. It was so great to have other dogs for him to play with so I didn't have to be his main source of attention.
3 comments:
I am quite impressed that you were out there hanging with Adam on the bike trails. I have always wanted to try mountain biking....no, maybe I just want to ride a bike on an easy trail through the woods. You are just so cute Annie. miss you!
i with you julie, i think i want to try it but really i think that the virginia creeper is more my style, or a beach cruiser really :) looks like an awesome weekend. when i saw the surf picture i thought "man adam has really gotten good, throwing all that spray". worth comes to bed every night laughing at the e-mails and voice mails he sends adam. he does it b/c he can picture adam laughing and that makes him so happy!
you gotta love an exceptional weekend like that.
annie, dogs really are good preparation for children. what you said about duke and having other dogs around so that you aren't the sole person doling out attention...so very much like having kids.
Post a Comment