Yesterday I got to go "scout" a trip with Adam. He has a backpacking trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in September and wanted to go check out where they'd be hiking into, the campsites, trailheads they would be using, etc. So we got up early, loaded up the Outdoor Explorations van with our backpacks, extra clothes - it was supposed to be a VERY wet day with thunderstorms producing "high winds and hail"...excellent, and of course, our trusty sidekick Duke. It rained the whole way up there, but as we got into Conway, a great little town that will require more exploring, the skies just seemed to lighten up and the rain stopped. We hiked into the campsite where the kids will be staying. The hike itself was pretty wet.
We were pretty much hiking up an active creek bed.
When we got to the lake where they were going to be camping, it took my breath away. My reaction surprised me. My eyes welled up and I was just overwhelmed by the beauty. This lake was crystal clear, the mountains rose up so majestically around it. It was just beautiful. Creation in all its glory. The pictures just can't do it justice, but we tried.
Duke was having a hay-day. He was so glad to be back in the woods again. Running up and back on the trail. Jumping full throttle into every river we crossed. He was covered in mud and all we could do was laugh. It's like taking a little boy to a giant mud puddle and saying "go ahead, go crazy" and all you can do is laugh at the unbridled joy it brings them!
He was pooped out the whole drive home.
Adam and I had prepared to do at least one or two more hikes that day, but a nasty storm rolled in, so we loaded up the van and headed south. That taste of the mountains again was enough to get us hooked. We've already started to look at our calendars to see when we can take a couple days to do some more hiking up there.
9 comments:
Wow, how beautiful! I love the pictures. You two are just about the coolest couple I know! We miss you.
that is awesome that you guys are getting into the mountains so much. you start work on monday! are you excited. i was in concod when you called, i promise i will call you back. love you
I thought the plural of Moose was "Meese"...just kidding! These pictures are beautiful! My girlfriend, Emily, is living her life vicariously through the pictures and stories on your blog. I can't wait for y'all to finally meet her...I miss you guys...Love you both...talk to you soon...
ROB! I'm so glad you guys read our blog! I can't wait to meet her either...Christmas? That will be the soonest we get down there. Or you guys could come up here!!! =) Good to hear your "voice". We love you and miss you!
Wow...your pics are great! It looks amazing up there. Annie, so glad you got to go with...and Beth Israel...we've heard great things!Blessings to you guys,
Mylissa
hope i get to meet duke some day. he looks like a good friend. did you know that beckett died last year? he got hit by a car. he was almost 10. it broke our hearts. he was a good man.
I'm so sorry to hear about Beckett! I can't believe it. Those things are so heart breaking! Duke is seven. He's is a good friend.
Oh...that looks beautiful...like somewhere in Alaska! Well, we are pretty sure we are coming up next weekend to Richard's cousin's wedding. Are you going to be around? We would love to see you. Also get some suggestions on where to go and what to see on our short trip. The wedding is actually in Hancock, NH I believe, but we will come back to Boston Saturday night or Sunday morning for a day or two. I don't have your email, but mine is heidink@gmail.com. We'd love to connect.
Ok so I left a longer note on the Ben and Jerry's picture but I just had to print out the other cute pictures of you and Adam and put them on the food box! How cute are Lizzy's kids in these pictures....
Love you all!
Post a Comment